• Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Turalyon  
Forum » Conversation » Your Interests » TV series
TV series
TuralyonDate: Sunday, 2011-01-30, 5:34 PM | Message # 1
Clan Protector
Group: Grandees
Write down which series did you enjoy the most, and mark them with numbers, starting with the best one of your choosing.
Add a description about it, your rating (IMDB's is also welcome) and a Trailer would be welcome.
I'll start.

Your reasoning is excellent -- it's only your basic assumptions that are wrong.

TuralyonDate: Sunday, 2011-01-30, 6:29 PM | Message # 2
Clan Protector
For those who don't know, IMDB is a site where you can see every movie made on Earth and it's rating. The ratings are given by IMDB site moderators, producers of the films, certain people with a degree to rate movies and of course users. Usually any movie over rating of 8/10 is a good movie (of course it varies from person to person). For example Avatar movie has 8.2/10, Inception has 9/10, Godfather has 9.2 and the movie which is first on the list is of course The Shawshank Redemption with a 9.2/10. Series are rated a little better than movies, because they last a lot longer than a movie and therefore the storyline is better (usually). You will see certain series rated above 9/10, and if you haven't seen them yet ... shame on you!

#1 Fringe:
Genre: Drama, Horror, Mystery

This is one of the extremely well made series that involve technology. It has a very awesome taste how to make it more intense at the right moments, and complicating things is one of the aspects. What I also like about this series is that what you see here as "unimaginable" or as "superstition" or even "science fiction", it still has a very high chance of becoming a near reality. It also has an insight of parallel universes, which is explained very thorough over the series.

Rate: 5/5 for overall
IMDB: 8.8/10

#2 Spartacus - Blood and Sand:
Genre: Historical drama

The series focuses on the historical figure of Spartacus, a Thracian gladiator who from 73 to 71 BC led a major slave uprising against the Roman Republic. Producers focused on structuring the events of Spartacus' obscure early life leading to the records of history.

Everything is just awesome about it. I recommend it to all. Based on true story.

IMDB: 8.8/10

In addition, the "Season 2" of Spartacus is airborne - it's called Spartacus - Gods of the Arena
It has only 2 Episodes out and it shows the story before the events of Blood and Sand.
My rating for the moment: 5/5
IMDB: 9.3/10

#3 Dexter:
Genre: Drama, Action-Adventure

I specially like this series because it was made after a Novel called ‘Darkly Dreaming Dexter’. I always find books having a deeper story then movies or movies made after books, but when it comes to a series, I think there's long enough episodes to cover the whole book, not to miss any detail.

This series is happening in Miami and it talks about a person named Dexter, who is a blood spatter-pattern analyst for the Miami Metro Police Department and shows himself in this series as a serial killer. Thing is, he's not an ordinary serial killer, he follows some sort of a code that helps him cope, cover his tracks and blend in with the crowd.

Rate: 5/5 overall
IMDB: 9.4/10

#4 The Walking Dead:
Genre: Horror

This series is also very nice if you enjoy watching horror. The producer is the same that made The Shawshank Redemption (Yes, the top rated movie on IMDB), so you can expect to see a very awesomely made story and it's events. If you ever watched zombie movies, you might have noticed how zombies come out from nowhere just like it was nothing. Or they try to show you "scary" scenes by poping a zombie right in front of the camera. That, you will not see in these series, because it is made with taste! Trailer will tell you all.

Rate: 5/5 overall
IMDB: 9/10

TuralyonDate: Sunday, 2011-01-30, 6:29 PM | Message # 3
Clan Protector
#5 Stargate, Stargate Atlantis & Stargate Universe:
Genre: Adventure, Action, Sci-Fi

When I first watched Stargate was when I saw it on TV (season 2 I think) and I didn't like the part where all they did was go inside a portal called Stargate, saved the day and came back. As far as I've watched and read it's like that for first 7 seasons. However, I'm not writing this here to talk about that, but to talk about the Seasons 7-10, Stargate Atlantis Season 1-5 and partially Stargate Universe Season 1&2.

The concept is the same, there are a few teams that go through the portal called Stargate to travel to other planets in the galaxy, but the series focuses on one team only, the ‘primary’ team or so called SG-1. Story is very creative, it doesn't always involve the Stargates, as shown in YouTube trailer StarGate Atlantis Trailer under.

If you don't have time to watch all of these Seasons, watch Stargate Universe only, but read the description of all other parts of Stargate to get the idea of how good they are.
It's short, and not nearly as awesome as other two are.
If you plan on watching them all, the story between Stargate and Stargate Atlantis is very connected, so watching Season 7-10 and Atlantis season 1-5 is recommended to watch transparently.

People judge this series by watching first 6 Seasons of it only, and I agree with them, they might be little off. But I assure you, the latest seasons are platinum!

IMDB: 8.6/10 for Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis 8.3/10.

#6 True Blood:
Genre: Drama, Fantasy

The series follows Sookie Stackhouse, a barmaid living in Louisiana who can read people's minds, and how her life is turned upside down when the Vampire Bill, walks into her place of employment two years after vampires 'came out of the coffin' on national television. - IMDB description

It has a unique story about Vampires and Humans living together, and it is very intriguing to watch.

IMDB: 8.4/10

#7Legend of the Seeker:
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy

This is a fantasy series made after The Sword of Truth novels by Terry Goodkind. I've recently read the books and I have to say that the story is just awesome. However, the producer of the series changed the story a little (because the books are long and it's not just one book). Many people who have read the books would say that the series suck and they're nothing compared to the books. I do agree to some point, but I have to say that Season 1 is just awesome, while the Season 2 was sloppily made. I would tell you what's it about, but I can't without telling you spoilers. Here is the link on YouTube, it's first 10 minutes of the first Episode, and it shows enough for you to decide if you like the genre or not (it gets a lot better!).

However, the special effects might not be as good as you'd like them to be. Personally they don't bother me, but I don't know what taste you like.

Oh oh, and Bruce Spence plays in it <333

Rate: 5/5 for season 1 and 4/5 for overall (Season 2 ruins it a little).
IMDB: 8/10

#8 Merlin:
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy

This show is about Merlin, Arthur and knights of the round table. However, this is not the story when they were all united already, but the story when they've first met at a young age and began their journey towards true friendship.

Story is just awesome itself, I like the idea and everything.

I am not bothered by anything in these episodes, however you might find that they have a lack of good special effects.

And John Hurt gave the voice to a Dragon and the narrator <3333 he's awesome!!

IMDB: 8/10

DonSpeedyDate: Sunday, 2011-01-30, 7:45 PM | Message # 4
[TSH]Consul
Group: Embassy
who would have expected tura to write such a long post ... honestly .. biggrin

I agree with you to the stargate part (which is sadly the only series I watched from your list surprised ) and that one should have seen the last seasons of Stargate SG1, but in my opinion Stargate Atlantis had the best and funniest team, which makes it my favourite. And I think that cancelling Atlantis for Universe was a very big mistake, since i don't really like its setting cry

Still, I got some series you haven't mentioned yet, and I'll start with my favourite one, which is

Dr. House
The story is about the best analistic doctor (in history?), Gregory House, who cures with his team the most difficult cases and saves the day. He's also drug-addicted because of his damaged leg and a real asshole (sorry for that one :< ), if you look at the very first episodes, in the course of the story he becomes a little bit more friendly, but not too much. Anyway, I don't want to spoiler for the guys who haven't seen it already, it might be interesting for you, though the focus of this series is more on the funny situations and dialogs between the permanent sarcastic doctor and his team, his boss, or his best friend, who's the exact opposit of his character biggrin
(sorry but there is no proper not-spoiling trailer on youtube :<)

Star Trek Voyager
Who doesn't like Star Trek can jump over this entry, since someone who doesn't like Star Trek can't start to like it with Voyager. It's not a ST-beginner series, but for the ones who like Star Trek it's a good mix of Star Trek trash and catching stories. But for the ones interested, it's about the starship "USS Voyager", which gets teleported through a wormhole from the Alpha into the Delta quadrant (Alpha-Quadrant is where our solar system is and most of Star Trek stories take place, Delta-Quadrant is veeeeeeeery far away (ask Tura, he knows the exact distance xP)) and now has to fly back the whole way, which would take round about 75 years. But of course on this way the crew encounters new foes, but also friends, and are able to shorten the time of their voyage more and more, but I don't want to spoiler here as well ^^
So, why would it be interesting to watch? Because it's Star Trek! I mean, Star Trek! One must watch! And also I like the story of "lost and find a way back", except it is in Stargate. I mean, in Stargate it's like "What will that button do? Oh no! We all gonne die!" and then rescue in last minute. It's okay if that happens once, but not every second episode .___. So in Voyager the people know what they have to do and can deal with problems. But anyway, Universe is still at the beginning, so I'll see what happens next ...

So here a (imho) nice trailer :3

Ten seconds ago I knew another series, but I have sadly forgotten, so if I remember I'm going to put it down here smile

Message edited by DonSpeedy - Sunday, 2011-01-30, 7:52 PM

TuralyonDate: Sunday, 2011-01-30, 9:04 PM | Message # 5
Clan Protector
Quote (DonSpeedy)
I agree with you to the stargate part (which is sadly the only series I watched from your list surprised ) and that one should have seen the last seasons of Stargate SG1, but in my opinion Stargate Atlantis had the best and funniest team, which makes it my favourite. And I think that cancelling Atlantis for Universe was a very big mistake, since i don't really like its setting cry

Agreed. And not to mention they will also cancel Universe after they're done with Season 2.

About House. An excellent series, but I find that more for only "entertaining" purpose. It has a very poor story and it's very similar to The Mentalist - Patrick's behavior.
Star Trek Voyager. Heard it's awesome and all of that, but considering I watched only a handful of episodes, I find it too long to watch it whole.

DonSpeedyDate: Sunday, 2011-01-30, 9:46 PM | Message # 6
[TSH]Consul
Quote (Turalyon)
Star Trek Voyager. Heard it's awesome and all of that, but considering I watched only a handful of episodes, I find it too long to watch it whole.

yep, as I said it's not for beginners and good if you see the whole story of the return home, so watching single episodes can be indeed boring, since you miss the context wacko happy
(btw: I like your smileys, they are cute o,o cool biggrin )

BorbelDate: Monday, 2011-01-31, 5:24 PM | Message # 7
Ex-Protector
Group: Spectators
C'mon guys. Don’t tell me you haven’t watched “Firefly”.
I assure you, this is the best sci-fi show I ever seen.
Like a good friend of mine always says: "Half of your life will fall into a trashcan if you miss it!"

TuralyonDate: Monday, 2011-01-31, 5:40 PM | Message # 8
Clan Protector
From the view of the trailer it looks like a mixture of Stargate Universe and Battlestar Galactica.

I've heard that it's an extremely well made series, but the problem with it is that they just stopped recording it in the middle of the story.
I'll look into it tho, seems very nice.

AlnitakDate: Friday, 2011-02-04, 10:06 PM | Message # 9
{KoD}Ambassador
I liked so much The walking dead 1st season, I enjoyed so much the 1st episode when
, I can't wait for the release of the 2nd season. I'd rate the serie 9/10
I also like House so much but since in the last season they are focusing too much in the other characters apart of House I find it quite boring. I'd rate it 8/10
My favourite TV series are:

Northern exposure (1990-1995)
It is about an outlandish and eccentric doctor from New York who is forced to work in a little town of Alaska. It shows the problems of the doctor to adapt from the life of a big city to a lil small town in the middle of nowhere. There are a big variety of weird characters with very different personalities and several original stories. I'd recommend it to everyone who is not searching just for a science fiction serie, I find it quite funny and entertaining, definately my favourite TV serie

My rating: 10/10
IMDB rating: 8,6/10

Trailer (sry, I couldn't find 1 in youtube)

Hill Street Blues (1981-1987)
It tells the life inside a police station placed on a conflictive district of a big city of the US. It looks quite realistic to me and it haves funny and sad moments and very emotive characters. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone because I know a few mates that don't like it, it's matter of taste.

My rating: 9/10
IMDB rating: 8,2/10

Kung Fu (1972-1975)
It tells the adventures and experiences of a meek shaoling monk half-chinese half-american who embarks on a great travel to find his american father. In his way he finds several characters in troubles so he always helps them and always manages to don't die in every chapter. It's not a very exciting serie and some people may find it boring (I just love it), it's quite relaxing and maybe educative with some features of the buddist or oriental culture.

My rating:9,5/10
IMDB rating: 7,9/10

Message edited by Alnitak - Friday, 2011-02-04, 10:08 PM

FuzzDate: Saturday, 2011-02-05, 5:03 PM | Message # 10
Rank VII
Group: Corporals
#1 South Park
It's the trailer for the south park movie though, but it should still give an insight in what kind of show it is. (it might be a bit immature, but damn it's funny xD)

#2 The Simpsons
Who doesn't know the simpsons!

#3 SCRUBS
A comedy series which is about a hospital and the persons working on it. I highly recommend it for thouse afternoons you don't know wtf to do xD

#4 How I met your mother
It's one big flashback story about how Ted Mosby met his childrens mother. It's very funny story, and just as you thought who it might be, your mind changes.

#5 Big bang theory
It's about 2 "nerds" living in a blog, when suddently their avrage way of living gets turned upside down when a beautiful woman moves in nextdoor. This is one of the funniest comedy shows i've watched so far, I can only highly recommend it.

Turalyon - "Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear, fuzzy wuzzy had no hair, so fuzzy wuzzy wasn't fuzzy, was he!?"

Message edited by Fuzz - Saturday, 2011-02-05, 5:14 PM

TuralyonDate: Thursday, 2011-02-17, 10:52 AM | Message # 11
Clan Protector
I finished watching Firefly last week and here's my observation:
- it's a really nice series, sadly they canceled it ... they had quite a nice idea
- however, I think Stargate: Atlantis is better in both story and events ... although, I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that Stargate Atlantis took some ideas from Firefly (since it was made in 2004 and Firefly 2002)
- if you watched Firefly and not Stargate Atlantis, go watch the other one

TuralyonDate: Sunday, 2011-02-20, 3:12 PM | Message # 12
Clan Protector
Ohh! I found that I forgot to add one series into the list. One that I'm currently watching and it's really incredible.

V:
Genre: Adventure, Action, Drama, Sci-Fi

The series is happening on the planet Earth. Everything seems normal and calm until one day, aliens show up with their huge ships, shattering all hope to humankind. However, even though chaos and panic has arisen really fast, it was calmed down as easy. They said they were friendly. They offer medicine, technology, faith, and many more.
However, there are some people who claim they are not as peaceful as they seem to be ... they even say they're not humans.

IMDB: 7.5/10

coxycrossDate: Saturday, 2011-03-12, 8:22 PM | Message # 13
Rank II
Group: Corporals
I'm not a fan of series. But There's only one serie that i like:

Misfits:

Misfits follows five outsiders on community service who get struck by a flash storm and lumbered with special powers.
Hard as nails Kelly (Lauren Socha) can suddenly hear people’s thoughts, shamed sporting hero Curtis (Nathan Stewart Jarrett) discovers he has the ability to turn back time when he regrets something, and party girl Alisha (Antonia Thomas) can send people into a sexual frenzy when they touch her skin. Even painfully shy Simon (Iwan Rheon) can make himself invisible when he feels he’s being ignored, which makes it all the more hard to swallow for smart aleck Nathan (Robert Sheehan), who seems to have been unaffected, much to his dismay.
Unlike their more conventional counterparts, our misfits don’t swap their ankle tags and mobile phones for capes and tights. Instead, they discover what a pain in the arse life can be when you’re stuck with a super power you didn’t want.

Trailer:[/b]

Reconcile not with the fear of the snake
But embrace it as your own
Inject it's venom into your veins

TuralyonDate: Sunday, 2011-05-01, 12:48 PM | Message # 14
Clan Protector
There are two more series that just have to be added on the list. They both have over 9 rating on IMDB, and I can assure you that it's worth watching.

Sherlock:
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery

You ever watched Sherlock Holmes, or at least read some books about him? Well, this series is all about that, but slightly different. Instead of the scenes taking part in 19th century, it takes part in 21st century. Yes, it is exactly as I said it. A brilliant producer came up with this idea of "installing" Sherlock Holmes in our century. If you watched Sherlock Holmes movie and The Mentalist TV series, it's basically a combination of those two, purely genius. First season consists of 3 episodes, all 90 minutes long.

IMDB: 9/10

Game of Thrones:
Genre: Drama, Fantasy

A Game of Thrones is the first book in A Song of Ice and Fire, a series of epic fantasy novels by American author George R. R. Martin. Game of Thrones is a TV series, representing the first book. George R. R. Martin helped producers make the TV series, so you can count on it that it's really well made. I've recently started reading the first book, and I am a little ahead of the story, but I can tell that it's 99% identical to the book, which I really like. If you like medieval story, filled with detailed war scenes, this is the series for you.

IMDB: 9.6/10

BambamDate: Sunday, 2011-05-01, 1:29 PM | Message # 15
Rank VI
Group: Generals
I watched the first episode of Misfits lately, seems like a nice, funny, lightweight series - perfect for watching while having dinner or in the evening after a hard day; I was looking for something like that and will definately continue watching it. Game Of Thrones looks really nice as well though, so ty for sending me into a dilemma, Tur tongue

Justin Bieber: "I've been sent from god to make music"
Tiësto: "I didn't send anybody"

Forum » Conversation » Your Interests » TV series
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright Borbel © 2024 Powered by uCoz