Saturday, 2024-04-20, 0:49 AM

Main Page
Register

Welcome Guest | RSS

[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: Turalyon  
Forum » EYE Clan Forum » Questions and Suggestions » Is using Lock-On a huge advantage?
Is using Lock-On a huge advantage?
TuralyonDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:03 PM | Message # 1
Clan Protector
Group: Grandees
Question is if using Lock-On is a huge advantage and therefore should be removed?
It obviously gives an advantage, but it brings a lot of disadvantage as well (this argument goes specially for good players - a casual player can use Lock-On, but he won't benefit from it to it's full potential as much as a good player might).

The other two threads about "easy abilities" and "slashes" have their own set of answering, and I want to add a similar one here as well.

If you think using Lock-On is bad, give us an argument as to why and we will discuss it. However, "it's too easy to use" or "I don't use it because I find it harder to play without" are not reasonable arguments, I'm saying that in advance.

It would be nice that anyone reading this thread would answer and give arguments if you agree as much as if you don't.

Your reasoning is excellent -- it's only your basic assumptions that are wrong.

HellDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:09 PM | Message # 2
Rank VII
Group: Obers
I am not against lock, rly ^^ And I am for it, coz many new players can kill smb with it, without it they won't be able to play as a warr or sin=mage wars on the serv.

I'm hot, u r not!

TuralyonDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:12 PM | Message # 3
Clan Protector
Quote (Hell)
And I am for it, coz many new players can kill smb with it, without it they won't be able to play as a warr or sin=mage wars on the serv.

Okay, a fine argument ... but let's make it a dual thread for Clanwarses as well. Should we allow it there or remove it?

HellDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:15 PM | Message # 4
Rank VII
Group: Obers
Well idc actually coz I will never play as a sin/mage/warr on cws for obvious reasons. ofc u could expect that i say i am for removing (ye priest is often easier to hit with lock and sometimes 1 additional hit can kill it) but I think we shouldn't forbid it 1) for more tactics 2) coz then there will be more diversity in styles of players.

I'm hot, u r not!

Message edited by Hell - Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:17 PM

DeadmanDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:16 PM | Message # 5
Rank V
Group: Corporals
well I play as Warrior but never use lock-on.I am not against lock(repeat afterl hell tongue :p)coz warrior lock and slash its bad mix

CAUTION!

Walking Dead

TuralyonDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:20 PM | Message # 6
Clan Protector
I am really open to both. A server that does not allow Lock-On would be really interesting to see. True, it'd be a huge change for most of the players, but that's not the question here.
I want to see as many posts as possible.

StBDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:21 PM | Message # 7
Rank III
Group: Volunteers
Ewww i writed a about slash here >.<

Well lock on it can be argued all time

For me i dont care only use for lock is in hand of newplayers actually in warrior's duel dosent help's

Assasin's can actually whine on lock becouse of stealth and as well vs bomb lock +run on target

Message edited by StB - Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:26 PM

DonSpeedyDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:25 PM | Message # 8
[TSH]Consul
Group: Embassy
I think, as you already said Tur, "lock on" is a advantage for new players, as well as it is for better players. I'm fine with beginners using "lock on" because I know they can't do better (yet), but I don't like e.g. clanmembers using it because as you said as well, they can handle it better. I mean if I'm Warrior I personaly never use lock on, because I prefere the thrill of being able to hit my enemies back without the aid of the game, or maybe I'm just not good enough in turning "lock on" off in the right moment happy .
Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I really hate it if good players ( / clan members) use "lock on" against me, because I know I could win the duel, but I can't because somehow and magicaly all my evasive maneuvers turn out to be useless because my opponent is always on my back. Of course I don't have any proofs and I might just suck, but still, if so, then "lock on" doesn't seem needed, and should therefore (on CW's) be disabled.

StBDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:29 PM | Message # 9
Rank III
Group: Volunteers
Your turn's dont work dony? maybe time to go some little defensive warrior? :P

AteistDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:49 PM | Message # 10
{KoD}Ambassador
I'd like lock on to stay for the exact same reasons as Fuzz =)

JilakoDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:54 PM | Message # 11
Rank VII
Group: Generals
You say lock-on is good for new players... but how guys can you know this? Not a single server has never been set without lock-on. I've discovered lock-on long time after playing assassin, and I was doing fine before. Plus , when a new player start locking, why would he stops? He no more needs to aim at his enemies since he just has to press a button, and poof... Players get used to lock and no more want to play without. Also, why melee players can have lock-on and not ranges? Archer is also hard to deal with when you begin , but it has no help from computer. And guys, stop telling me you can't put lock-on on an archer, i'm not speaking about puting him a lock-on with a 15000 range, but a lock-on with same range as melees. Plus I agree with speedy about the part where clan players are using lock-on whereas they perfectly could play without..

L'enfer, c'est les autres.

BambamDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 8:58 PM | Message # 12
Rank VI
As for normal, open play:
The only argument one could bring up against lock is that it's OP. But is it?
Lock is an ability offering certain advantages and disadvantages. It makes missing a hit far less likely; it prevents you from losing the enemy out of your eyes if he "dances" around you too fast to follow (which makes you harder to get hit in a melee duel); some say that it even increases the range of your stances (I won't comment this any further since I personally have not experienced this yet, but I'm not very good in noticing that kind of things).

However, this comes with a catch. Using lock makes you less mobile, makes your moves more predictable, constrains the freedom of your moves: These factors all lead to one fact: Your avoidance sucks. Avoiding the enemy missiles/hits/bombs/whatever the heck can harm you is one of the most difficult to learn, but one of the most important things for melee classes. So basically every single advantage you take of lock leads to a disadvantage as well.
A few examples:
-Locking on a mage? You will hit him easier, but he will kill you extremely easy with basically everything (given that the mage is not out of stamina, in which case he would probably die anyways)
-Locking on an assassin? Yes, you will prevent him backstabbing you (in 99%of cases), and yes, you can hit him easily, and yes, if he cloaks you can follow him without losing him- but if he has bombs, you are dead.
-Locking on an archer? He can hit you very easily, a target running straightforward to him is a feast.
-Locking in a warrior duel? Yes, you will be harder to hit and you will have a lower risk of missing your own stances and therefore taking a hit; but a good warrior can take advantage of your lack of mobility and hit you with side-attacks.

Besides, another big disadvantage is that lock is not reliable. It often happens that you press the button to lock and the enemy actually does not get locked (leads to confusion), or that you cannot unlock a locked player (deadly in many situations, some of them are shown above).

I presumed that the opponents are rather equally in skill (otherwise the discussion is pretty much senseless anyways) and rather experienced players (I guess that these are that matter, I doubt that we'd adjust server settings specially for new players- which are taking the most advantage of lock anyways, simply because the cannot hit properly without it).

As for Clanwars:
Lock loses more and more importance the better the players are (because good players can counter it and use these disadvantages extremely well), so I guess that this question doesnt matter a lot in CWs anyways.

Justin Bieber: "I've been sent from god to make music"
Tiësto: "I didn't send anybody"

Message edited by Bambam - Saturday, 2011-03-05, 9:00 PM

JilakoDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 9:05 PM | Message # 13
Rank VII
Locking on a mage? You will hit him easier, but he will kill you extremely easy with basically everything (given that the mage is not out of stamina, in which case he would probably die anyways)

And what if the warrior just dumbly runs toward you slashing you like a retard and that you're firemage? I dunno about you , but i hate firemages suiciding on melees, so it's not to suicide myself on melees..
As for lightning mage, instead of slashing, he'll have to stance and safeguard from times to times.
-Locking on an archer? He can hit you very easily, a target running straightforward to him is a feast.

Depends if the enemy locks as soon as he sees you or waits a bit to get closer before locking. In first case, you have high chances to kill him before he gets you, but in second case, even if you kill him, you'll take high damages.

L'enfer, c'est les autres.

tinyDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 9:05 PM | Message # 14
{KoD} Consul
Lock-on in my eyes is the equivalent of aim-bot, just developers over compensating classes lake of real human fighting styles and adaptations in combat.
Also benefit(good thing) of is for chasing and none stop slashing on priests in my eyes.

I cam I saw I conquered

BambamDate: Saturday, 2011-03-05, 9:10 PM | Message # 15
Rank VI
Quote (Jilako)
You say lock-on is good for new players... but how guys can you know this?

I know it, because I remember the time when I started playing very well (it is not as long ago as many of you guys :p)
If you start DM, you simply have trouble hitting an enemy in melee, because nearly no games have a melee fighting system. The MP5 from Counterstrike isn't that much different from the MP45 from Call of Duty XYZ. I was a full-lock warrior in start; and i had rather many kills rather quickly- but almost ALWAYS as many or even more deaths; simply because my avoidance sucked.

Quote (Jilako)
Plus , when a new player start locking, why would he stops?

I actually stopped locking because of you, Jil, because you explained me (as mage) that I could be a lot more effective without. Besides, I wanted to join EYE, and I actually thought that I wouldn't get into EYE if I locked, heh.

Quote (Jilako)
And guys, stop telling me you can't put lock-on on an archer, i'm not speaking about puting him a lock-on with a 15000 range, but a lock-on with same range as melees.

The problem here for me is that the archer usually gets some distance between him and you (sprint+long jump), and that you are still locked to him, while he can aim at you. If unlocking works, then it's fine, if it does not work, then you are pretty much dead.

Justin Bieber: "I've been sent from god to make music"
Tiësto: "I didn't send anybody"

Forum » EYE Clan Forum » Questions and Suggestions » Is using Lock-On a huge advantage?
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright Borbel © 2024 Powered by uCoz